Friday, September 7, 2007

My summer in Washington

Over the past summer, May - July 2007, I had the great honor of being invited to intern at the Brookings Institution in Washington DC. I interned in the Global Economy and Development Program researching topics including international volunteerism, public diplomacy, and public health in Sub-Saharan Africa. Of course, living in the district was an amazing experience. Learning the in's and out's of life on "The Hill" was an invaluable life lesson that I will carry with me. One of the most important things that I learned in DC was that I have a real interest in pursuing advanced degrees and living a life of learning. Working in the environment of free thinking and innovation was inspiring.

Also, living in DC was a great cultural experience for me. There was something very special about living and working in such a historically rich city. I enjoyed seeing the sights, visiting the museums, and touring the monuments. The Brookings Institution is located just off Dupont Circle so I was really in a central location for cultural and professional happenings around the District.

No comments: