Friday, September 7, 2007

My Time in the Marine Corps

Before I came to Kennesaw State University I joined the United States Marine Corps (2000 - 2004). This was one of the major formative experiences of my life. It was during the thirteen weeks on Paris Island and the subsequent 4 years that I learned how to learn, how to work, how to lead, and how to excel at tasks set before me.

During my enlistment I was trained as a basic rifle-man and as an Aviation Ordnance System Technician. As a rifle-man I learned discipline, strength, obedience, and chain of command. As an ordnance technician I learned a great deal about how to lead and execute complex operations involving multiple teams and goals. Additionally, I learned how to trouble shoot electronic components, deal with hazardous and sensitive weapons systems, manage sensitive information and insure physical security of sensitive documents and weapons systems as well as related components. During my enlistment I was deployed to Japan for three years. It was from Japan that I was ordered to deploy on many joint training operations in countries including Australia, Thailand, South Korea, and with US forces on the island of Guam.

By the end of my enlistment I was promoted to the rank of Corporal (E-4). Additionally, I was awarded one Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, three Sea Service Deployment Ribbons, one Good Conduct Medal, one National Defense Medal, and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. Additionally, I was recognized with letters of appreciation and meritorious masts for the outstanding discharge of my duties.

No comments: