Friday, September 7, 2007

The Boy Scouts of America

As far back as I can remember, I have been in the Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts. This was a very important experience to the formation of my character and personality. In addition to learning great skills like wilderness survival, cooking, and civic responsibility I learned important lessons about leadership and accountability as a troop leader for Troop 61.

On the trail to earning the rank of Eagle Scout I had to satisfy many requirements. I had to hold a leadership position with in the Troop. This required that I win an election to become troop leader. I was in charge of six patrols with between 8-12 boys each. Additionally, I had to undertake a self designed and executed service project. I decided to build a nature trail and outdoor learning area in the wooded area adjoining Harmony Lealand elementary school. My team and I planted many indigenous plants, built many benches, and cleared a winding trail through three acres of school land. All of this took four hundred and fifty personal hours and roughly three times that in peer volunteer hours.

No comments: